Thursday, March 23, 2006

V and Evey? Vincent and Catherine?

Yesterday I saw V for Vendetta. Afterwards I learned all sorts of things about comics. As I was going to sleep last night the late eighties show, Beauty and the Beast, came into my head. I started making all these comparisons between the film and the show. So the show is about a guy who's deformed as a human (because he's half lion) and lives underground near the subway, but his lair is filled with books and old antiques and such. He goes above ground and saves a woman from death, brings her to his lair and they harbor a forbidden love for each other that is channeled into fighting crime together. And his name is V-V-Vincent.

For those of you not familiar with Beauty and the Beast starring Linda Hamilton, here is a snippet of the opening narration of every show which demonstrates the caliber of such an important program:

Vincent: This is where the wealthy and powerful rule. It is her world..a world apart from mine. Her name...is Catherine. From the moment I saw her, she captured my heart with her beauty, her warmth and her courage. I knew then, as I know now, she would change my life...forever.

Catherine: He comes from a secret place, far below the city streets, hiding his face from strangers, safe from hate and harm. He brought me there to save my life...and now, wherever I go, he is with me, in spirit. For we have a bond stronger than friendship or love. And although we cannot be together, will will never, ever, be apart.

In other old show trivia, did you know that Doogie Howser, MD was created by Steven Bochco and David E. Kelley? I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Finally, Idol. I gotta say I loved Chicken Little in the beginning, but I'm not sorry to see him go. He was getting a little cocky and I don't think he should have mouthed off to Simon last week. Having said that I think it would have been awesome if he had worn a Chicken Little t-shirt underneath is button down last night in case he got voted off and he could give the audience something to remember him by.

No comments: