Monday, April 03, 2006

What's Dark is Dark

So tonight at Neuhaus, this Italian couple came in. Two very short men that looked alike, but were clearly not related. They were talking in Italian and didn't really understand English. Clementine, who I am now secretly calling "The General" just cause, started to speak a little Italian to them explaining the price of the chocolate. She knows a little Italian because she was married to an Italian man for many years - her "great love" or "love of her life" - I forget which. This is how I know these guys didn't understand the Belgian speaking half English/half Italian. The guy on the left had his face furrowed and possessed the most confused look I think I have ever seen. This alone probably wouldn't make it funny, but to top it off, his head was shaped like Stewie Griffin's. It was the Italian Stewie with his Italian accent looking very confused. So good I had to hide in the back to laugh out loud.

In reference to this week's title, "what's dark is dark," a woman came into the store asking where the dark chocolate was to which I always give this reply. I say it respectfully, but this time these two teenagers who are among the hundreds of touristy teens I've seen at Neuhaus with name badges laughed and gave a noise like I completely dissed this woman for not knowing what dark chocolate looked like. (And to myself I was.) However, while this remark can sound very flip if said in a certain way, I always say it with respect because let's face it. If you're stupid enough not to know what dark chocolate looks like when it's right next to milk chocolate, you don't want the person selling it to you to make you feel that stupid. I'm clearly not built for customer service.

My new job orientation was today. They gave me this huge binder with lots of papers and I've had to sign about ten different forms. I will bequeath my life's worth ($20,000 in insurance) to my brother should I kick it. They gave me this pamphlet to give to my beneficiary explaining how it all works. There's this woman in a sweater on a blueish beach standing looking out at the water. I guess this defines "grief". I'm going to show this to people. Wow, I feel like this entry should just be called "Quotation Marks" because I've used a lot of them tonight.

No comments: